The Austen BioInnovation Institute in Akron (ABIA) offers the American Heart Association’s (AHA) HeartCode® Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) course, which combines convenient, time-saving web-based instruction with certified instructor-facilitated classroom instruction and skills testing.
HeartCode® PALS Part 1 is a web-based, self-directed program that teaches healthcare providers knowledge and skills needed to recognize and prevent cardiopulmonary arrest in infants and children. The online portion of the course will take approximately 4 hours to complete
Parts 2 & 3 (Skills Practice and Testing) take place at scheduled class times at ABIA with AHA PALS certified instructors.
The program uses eSimulation technology to allow students to assess and treat patients in virtual healthcare settings. In this environment, students apply their knowledge to real-time decision-making and skills development. Debriefings and coaching are provided immediately after each simulation to facilitate learning about pediatric advanced life support.
- Key changes in pediatric advanced life support, reflecting the new science from the 2010 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care
- 12 pediatric, hospital-based, patient cases with up to four healthcare providers, presented though eSimulation technology
- Systematic approach to pediatric assessment
- Recognition and management of respiratory and shock emergencies
- Recognition and management of respiratory and cardiac arrest
- Immediate post-cardiac arrest care
- Effective communication as a member and leader of a resuscitation team
Successful completion of the full PALS course (using HeartCode PALS Part 1) includes three parts:
- HeartCode PALS Part 1. Upon successful completion of the online portion, including the written exam, students receive a Part 1 certificate of completion, which must be presented for parts 2 and 3.
- Part 2 and Part 3, a hands-on skills practice session and skills test with an AHA PALS Instructor.
Students will receive an AHA PALS course completion card, valid for two years, upon successful completion of all three parts.
Upcoming PALS Part 2/3 Sessions at ABIA
- June 11, 2014 – 9:00 am to 12:30 pm Register Online
- July 26, 2014 – 8:00 am to 12:00 pm Register Online
- August 20, 2014 – 9:00 am to 12:30 pm Register Online
- September 24, 2014 – 9:00 am to 12:30 pm Register Online
- October 18, 2014 – 9:00 am to 12:30 pm Register Online
- November 12, 2014 – 9:00 am to 12:30 pm Register Online
- December 17, 2014 – 9:00 am to 12:30 pm Register Online
You will receive your course activation key and further instructions upon registration
The fee for the course is $180.00. Fee includes both online course access and in-person practice/skills test.
If you would like to sign up for ONLY PALS parts 2/3, the cost is $75.00. Please click the registration link and indicate part 2/3.
Note: You must demonstrate successful completion of PALS Part 1 to attend the in-person Part 2/3 Sessions. Please bring your HeartCode® PALS Part 1 certificate of completion to the session.