Who We Are
The Center for Biomaterials and Medicine (CBMM) is a center of research excellence with core strengths in biopolymers, orthopaedics and wound healing. The Center leverages world-class polymer science and engineering into innovative clinical applications.
The Center is focused on research platforms to capitalize on opportunities in the areas of:
- Biomaterials for orthopaedics and wound care applications
- Polymers as coatings for implanted medical devices
- Polymers combined with growth factors and/or seeded with cells for tissue generation and repair
What We Do
The Center for Biomaterials and Medicine focuses on its core strengths in biopolymers, orthopaedics and wound healing to leverage research into high-value clinical applications aimed at accelerating biomedical innovation.
The Center builds research teams that develop novel biopolymers and polymer-hybrids with innovative applications in orthopaedics and wound care, to develop translational, patient-centered projects that generate data and results critical to gaining competitive funding for Akron area researchers.
In addition, the Center for Biomaterials and Medicine is dedicated to strengthening the research capacity of Akron by building specialized research laboratories throughout the region. The Center has built a main lab for research located on The University of Akron campus, and plans to build several satellite labs throughout the Greater Akron area.
How We Fit
CBMM, one of five Centers of Innovation, fits into ABIA’s structure by conceptualizing through intense research the innovative medical concepts that are processed through the Institute. Each of the centers has a distinct role in the innovation process, and provides idea holders with invaluable resources designed to advance innovative concepts to commercialization:
- The CBMM is a center of research excellence, where high-value clinical applications are studied and conceived.
- The Medical Device Development Center (MDDC) advances the medical applications that are conceptualized by CBMM by helping the inventor to design, test, and market the use of their medical innovation.
- The Center for Clinical Trials and Product Development (CCTPD) assists medical innovations through clinical and regulatory pathways, confirming product viability and marketability;
- The Center for Simulation and Integrated Healthcare Education (CSIHE) helps commercialized innovations by introducing them to the medical world through education and training;
- The Center for Community Health Improvement (CCHI) promotes health and the use of medical therapies throughout patient communities.